History of the Organs in Holy Trinity

There were two pipe organs installed in the church between its consecration in 1851 until 1975. The first was installed in 1853 and the second in 1878, which was rebuilt in 1934. 

A Worcester Chronicle report of the consecration in 1851 says that "Mr Haynes, the organist, presided at the seraphine, which had been placed here until an organ shall be obtained". From Berrow's Worcester Journal of 12 May 1853 we learn that an organ was erected in Holy Trinity Church "by Mr. Nicholson, of Worcester, whose name is sufficient guarantee for the excellence of the instrument, which is to cost 150 guineas, and will be the gift of C. Morris Esq., and Miss Morris"

In 1873, with the new addition of the North isle to the church, it was felt that the current organ was not large enough for the new size of the church. So a subscription was raised to buy a new organ. By 1877, £700 had been raised towards the £1000 required so a new organ, again built by Mr. Nicholson of Worcester, was installed and formally opened in January 1878. On the 19th January 1878 the first service with the new organ was reported in Berrows Worcester Journal - Mr W Higley was named as the organist of Holy Trinity Church.



William Higley was born in Barnards Green in 1847, the son of John Higley, a carpenter and Martha Banford. He spent all his working life as a bank clerk in Malvern. In 1871 he married a German lady called Auguste Caroline Bennett and they had one son, William John Louis Higley, born the following year.

William senior was already organist at Holy Trinity in 1870 when he was only 23 years old and he continued as organist for many years. His name regularly appeared in news items about events at Holy Trinity until 1894 and his son was also mentioned in several items when they would both play at a service. William junior was, according to reports, a very accomplished musician:-



William Senior was almost certainly still organist in 1895 when Edward Elgar wrote his Organ Sonata. We know that Holy Trinity and the name Higley were mentioned in Elgar's diary and that Elgar himself played the organ when practising his Sonata.

The last of these pipe organs was badly damaged by water coming through the roof and to avoid the large expense of either a new organ or a considerable restoration, the decision was made to install an electronic instrument. This was done in December 1975 when Makin Organs supplied their 'Westmorland' model and the inauguaral recital on the new organ was given on 12th June 1976.

The 'Westmorland' Makin's first attempt to produce an electonic organ, consisting of many rotating and moving parts, was not entirely satisfactory and over the next twelve years it became very noisy and difficult to maintain. Considerable progress in electronic organ building over this period prompted Makin Organs to recommend a solid-state (no moving parts) update which was installed in December 1988 and with a few later modifications became the present day organ.